Sunday, August 9, 2009

Good Day

Today was a pretty good day. I slept pretty good last night. I did wake up pretty sore because I did some physical therapy exercises yesterday. My mom and dad showed up today and we went to the mall. Of course they found me a wheelchair because I knew I wouldn't be able to walk that far without tiring easily. We got a protein shake mix at GNC to help with me gaining weight. All my doctor friends reading this, how much is too much protein in one day/ in one sitting, for only one kidney to handle? Each scoop of powder is 21 grams of protein, the GNC guy said I could always put 2 scoops per drink. I just don't want to overload my own kidney. After we returned from the mall, we all took a nap and then grilled hamburgers on the grill. Then the storm hit so my parents waited it out a little before heading home. We got some really cool pictures of the front moving in. If I figure out how to post a picture on here, I will share them soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Doc -- my guess would be that the GNC shakes don't have enough bioavailability to stress the kidney too badly. I'd conjure that the protein source (whey, soy, etc) will be absorbed up to whatever % your body thinks it needs or can extract and the rest will just be fecally excreted. With that said, while your body is still learning to be your body again, I'd start slow and work up with what you're comfortable with :)

Loves,
Jonathan

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I bet it was nice to get out of the house for a while! Glad to hear you are hacing good days! Keep them coming!

Wolvers said...

Hey Lindsay, I'm not a doctor by any means but have been trying to live pretty Holistically the past couple years. I was reading a magazine called Delicious Living posted and distributed through HyVee's health mart. They have an ad in there for Floradix Kinder Love Children's Multivitamin. It's a dietary supplement, and I thought it may help you when I read it. It's for children so it should be weaker and not as strong to digest, it promotes strong bones with increased calcium absorbtion, it has strong antioxidants in it, and promotes a healthy appetite and improved digestion from whole food and herb formula in a fruit juice base. I have not tried this myself. The website listed is www.florahealth.com or their number is 1-888-436-6697 if you are interested in more info. Hope you keep having better days and get this appetite situation under control.
Anna