Monday, August 17, 2009

Well that was not fun!!!

So today was my EMG appointment. I really didn't know what the EMG entailed as I really had never seen one done although I had actually ordered one for a patient in the one week I was actually a resident and she was not very happy afterwards and said it hurt so I was expecting some pain. The test has 2 parts, the nerve conduction study and then the actual EMG. So a tech performed the nerve conduction study 1st. She placed some electrodes on my fingers and then she shocked different areas of my arm. First she would start with low voltage and the turn it up with each shock. The low voltages felt like a tiny shock. Like when you stick you tongue on a 9V battery. By the high voltage it was more like sticking your and on an electric fence. Not fun. When it came to the radial nerve, she was shocking me and I was getting no response. It worried me that that nerve was really damagedbut she said it could be just because she was hitting scar tissue since she was right on one of my scars so she turned the voltage up to the highest power and still nothing so she went and got the staff physician. He came and told her to try different area, mind you still at the highest power and wow did that one connect. I about shot off the table. Then the resident physician came in for the EMG. This part involved sticking what looked like to be a 25G needle into my arm and one in my hand which hurt the worst and he didnt just stick them in, no, he wiggled them around. So I dont know exactly all the results and what they mean as I wasnt thinking straight after all that but what I do know is that my ulnar nerve is what is the most affected at this point. I dont know what the surgeon that did the surgery thought about the ulnar nerve as he only made comment on the radil nerve and how it had been pinched but not severed. I felt all zings from the electrode go all the way down all 3 nerves so I am unsure why the muscles in the hand innervated by the ulnar nerve do not work. Could the nerve have possibly been pulled and so diverting branches were broken off but the main branch is still there? Any ideas from any one? I have my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on Monday to view the results and basically find out answers and whether they think I need a surgery or not again or if we just wait it out.

On a side note I have come to the conclusion that if you have known my family for a long time, please be extra, extra careful the rest of the year. Once agin someone we have known for a long time has had an accident and is hospitalized and could use your prayers. A guy my parents do hay business with was unloading a hayrack off a semi when he slipped and the hayrack ran over his neck. He was lifeflighted to Iowa City where he underwent surgery on his broken neck and had another one today. This happened on Friday and he is doing remarkably well. He has all feeling in his body except for mild weakness in his right arm. Once again, god works miracles. Please everyone becareful with everything you do and always tell those you love that you love them because you never know when it will be your last. Have a goodnight.

4 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh my goodness! Just hearing about that test gives me the willys! Glad it is over :)

I am so sorrya bout your family friend. I hope that this trend does not continue-- you all have been through ENOUGH!

Timm said...

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your accident (and your friend too). I read your account of your EMG. That is not a fun procedure (I've had it done 3X)! I hated the part where they stuck the needle in my palm and wiggled it around. I asked the doctor if he was looking for a needle in a haystack, because the needle was in his hand!

If you are interested, you may wish to visit our Cubital-Tunnel.com forums where you can share your experiences, ask questions and get answers about your ulnar nerve problems. Good luck with your recovery.

wegs said...

needles aren't fun so i can't imagine a 25G one! good grief! it sounds like you are still be patient but I can't tell for sure since I haven't talked to you in awhile.

When you mentioned being shocked almost off the table that made ME jump which in turn made me giggle at myself! I'm a dork. i know what having the EEGs(?) felt like on my muscles from sports and I can't even imagine a jolt like that- hence why I almost jumped out of my chair.

and in case we haven't told you in awhile... we're glad you're still here!! Remember our promise in the hospital... no more wheelchairs til we're old and gray! I'm holding you to that promise missy!
love you and i WILL be calling you this week sometime. I need my fix and you get to hear about my first week back to school (and all those lesson plans you didn't help me with....) ;)
LOVE YOU!!

Unknown said...

Griffy maybe miracles just happen around your family. I love you so much! You're the toughest girl I know. Lots of love! Ashley