Monday, August 24, 2009

I think I solved the headaches

So I think I solved the headache situation as I have now had 2 headache free days. I hope I am not jinxing myself. About a week and a half ago I met with my therapist again and once again she mentioned using an SSRI (a type of depression med) for my PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) She felt it would give me energy and also it had a side effect of weight gain. I finally said well lets just give it a shot and see. These meds you cant just start at a dose, you have to build yourself up. She wanted me at 20mg, that is what she starts people at. I took 5mg for 5 days, then 10mg for 5 days, and the 20 mg. On the 10 mg I was feeling the best I ever had, with lots of energy. After having one of the worst headaches on Sat night I sat down and thought of what had changed. I had slowly weaned myself down from my anxiety meds and my pain meds and I didnt think a rebound headache would last this long. Then I realized that the time the headaches started was the time I went from 10mg to 20mg on my anti-depressant. I looked up the side effects and discovered that headaches were a side effect along with insomnia which I had recently developed and orthostatic hypotension (blood pressure droping when standing up and getting lightheaded), also something I recently developed. So Sunday I went back down to 10mg and I have not had a headache since. and the insomnia and hypotension have improved. Hopefully I remain headache free. We'll see on Wednesday at my next appointment whether she wants me to stay on this or switch.

5 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh thanks goodness!! I hope that she lets you stay at that dose!

Heather said...

Yeah for solving one problem!! Hope you are feeling good!! Can't wait to see you this weekend!!

wegs said...

I'm glad your clinical trial was a success and you had such a kickass doctor overseeing it all! ;) love you! great to talk with you this weekend!

Elisa said...

Way to go Doc!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay we keep thinking of you ! Hope your recovery progresses further without any more bumps in the road.
Hendrik