Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 9th, 1:00 PM

Today is a rough day. They were supposed to get Lindsay up today but that has been postponed until tomorrow. The doctor noticed what he thinks MIGHT be a hairline fracture in one of her vertebrae. Because of this he said he would feel more comfortable if she was in a back brace before they sit her up.

To be fitted properly for a back brace they need to pull her chest tube out and that will not happen until tomorrow so she is not happy about either one of those things. She also indicated to me that she was angry because they took away her basal level of morphine so now she will just get comfortable and get to sleep and she will start to hurt again. They offered her percocet or oxycontin but those are not quite the same.

When I got back from lunch there was a sign on her door requesting that no one enter the room unless they checked in with the nurse first. Mom just peeked her head in and asked Lindsay if she needed any help with lunch and the answer she was given was no, she just wanted to be left alone and do it herself.

So, that's what we are doing. I'm guessing that this minor setback is just irritating to her because she wants so badly to just get up and get going so she can get better. This is the only the first or second day that she has really been awake enough to process the accident and all that is going on so it is possible she just needs some alone time to be angry and frustrated and then she will be able to continue her improvement.

Speaking of improvement, on the improvement front they heard great bowel sounds this morning so we know that her internal organs are starting to wake up.

They also did have to give her an insulin shot this morning and when they checked her before lunch her level was 111 so they indicated that was much better.

As I imagined this day has been very hard for her and she will continue to have a struggle for as well as I know my sister, I can tell you it has got to be killing her to be lying in that bed unable to do anything proactive to get herself better.

Please keep the prayers and good vibes coming.

4 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I would say if anyone deserves some time to be angry and upset it would be her. However I am sure that she will pull out of the funk and get back to healing like you said.

Henry and I talk about Lindsay in our 'squares' every night and thank him for her continued improvement!

Anonymous said...

Lindsay - keep on fighting ,we all miss you here and pray for you.Hendrik

erica said...

tell her i'm on my way tomorrow and she can yell all she wants to me. I know she's frustrated- I can feel it here... but (her) Doctor knows best! Glad to hear her innards are waking up!!!!! God is GOOD!!!

Unknown said...

Lindsay,
I just caught up on all of these blogs and MAN, I am so proud of you healing the way you are. These blog's are hilarious because only you would respond the ways you have to everything! You are a gunner!! Keep up the good work and the good fight. Try to remember that all pain is temporary and you have so much to look forward to! You are a gunner and I am sure you will heal like one too! I will keep sending the positive healing vibes your way!!
Lindsay Lombardo