Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My 1st post back home

Well this last week has been rough on me. A week ago today I woke up thought I was feeling fine. I got showered and got ready to take Landen to his 9 month appointment. I drank my protein shake and we headed out the door. The minute we started driving, I started not feeling good. I started getting hot flashes and my stomach started churning. We arrived at the hospital, I opened the door and got sick on the side walk. After that I did feel a little better. We made it through the appointment and back home and I was exhausted. I collapsed on the couch. Things just got worse from then. I didnt know what it was but I knew something wasn't right. I laid down in my bed and became entirely weak. I could barely keep my eyes open. Finally about 9pm that night, I made Tim take me to the ER. I didn't know if I just needed fluids or what but I knew I needed something.
They put me in a room and tested the fluid coming from my drain. The amylase level was over 200,000 and my white count was over 19,000. It was determined that I had a bad pancreatic leak and a possible infection. So they admitted me. They did a CT scan and saw a pocket of fluid around the pancreas, the same one the saw on the CT scan in Des Moines but decided that this time it needed to be drained and my pancreas needed to rest.
The nest day I was taken to interventional radiology and the placed a new drain that would drain that pocket of fluid. Then a feeding tube was placed through my nose, down the back of my throat through the stomach, through the 1st part of the small bowel and into the second part of the small bowel. This tube gives me nutrients with out making the pancreas work.
On Monday, they measured the amylase level in the drain again and this time it was down to 89,000. Much better but it has to be less than 1,000 before they will take the tube out of my nose. I have an appointment on Friday to remeasure the level. Please pray that my pancreas is healing and my level will be less than 1,000 so I may get this tube out. With it being down my throat, I get nauseas a lot and lately I have been struggling with a lot of anxiety. Pray that I make it through these next few days of my pancreas healing and that it may heal fast so I can get this tube out of my nose. Thanks for all your continued prayers throughout this struggle in my recovery. Will try to keep you updated with my progress.

Lindsay

6 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so glad to see you back posting. I hope this space can help you to deal with all of what is going on.

I think about you all the time and I hope things are going well. Please call me if you need anything. Even if it is just to scream at someone about how much this sucks!!

Love ya!! You are a rock star!!

jacki sullivan clasen said...

keep fighting lindsay!!! you have come such a long way!!! my thoughts are shooting your way... everyday when im at work i check this site for updates!!!! here is a little funny funny for you... remember in high school i was a junior and you were a sophmore... it was a softball game and i got knock in the head witha line drive, and i said i was alright and you and erica looked at me like i was nuts, then i tried another batter, and i said i was done... and i looked at you and said, ok lindsay your turn!!! you stepped and the next batter you got out by catching an amzing line drive.... well hun, you stepped in and took on a big role..... you are doing such a great job right now!!! you have stepped up for your family.... even though he is still young, i know Landen is thank you for every great step you have taken!!! you keep it up!!!

Jennifer B. said...

I am so sorry that the anxiety has to happen on top of the pain and nausea. I wish we could take it away.

Anonymous said...

I check your progress everyday here at ATSU. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers during this trying time but know to that there is relieve ahead for you. You will be the best and caring doctor ever because you will have expierenced what you need to be just that doctor. Hang in there and remember you have so many people there to help you so accept it. You will appreciate that so much once you are feeling well. Family and friends are the best!!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

You can get through this Lindsay... I hope that it is a fast recovery and you are able to remove the tube at your next appointment!

Danette Forest said...

I pray for you daily, I know you are strong & that you will get over this hurdle. Please stay positive & always know. I also am only a phone call away.