Friday, July 31, 2009

The doctor's appointment

I had a lot of nausea in the night so at 4am I turned my feeding tube off so that I could get some sleep. When I woke up at 7 I still didn't feel good and my side around my JP tube was really hurting. I got some pain meds in and took my other meds and re-hooked up my feeding tube even though I still didn't feel good, I knew I needed to. We left for the doctor's office and got there around 9am and got checked in. I was still having quite a bit of pain in my side and my vitals reflected it. My BP was in the 150's and my heart rate was 111. It didn't take too long for the resident to come in and examine me. He said they would take a sample of the drain fluid and call me later in the day with results. The nurse then came in and took some of the fluid and we waited to see the doctor. About 20 minutes later, the resident poked his head in and said they wanted too see what the results were before we left so they could take action if necessary, so we waited and waited. Over 2 hrs in the room we waited. Finally, the doctor came in. She said that it took the lab a while to get the level because it was so high it couldn't be measured. It was over 250,000 again. Tears started swelling up in my eyes. I asked how could that be? She said she didn't know so she talked to the head pancreatic surgeon of the university and he said it can happen and since it has now been a month since the surgery, he said to take the feeding tube out and let me eat and my body will heal itself. I kept asking are you serious? She was like, well do you want it out or not. Of course I wanted it out. YEAH!!! No more feeding tube, as long as I can eat and tolerate food, otherwise it goes back in and it wasn't pleasant coming out. So I am on a clear liquid diet for today and can start normal food slowly tomorrow. So far I have had a whole can of chicken broth and am feeling fine so hopefully things will go well. I am just super glad to have the feeding tube out. I still have to have the drain in my side but I can totally handle that much more than the feeding tube. Please pray that I am able to start eating normally again with no trouble so I don't have to have the feeding tube again and that my pancreas continues to heal like they said it would. I go back in another week for a check up again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news about getting feeding tube out. Hope you continue to improve. Thinking of you & praying for you often.
Aunt Sue

Unknown said...

YAY!! No more feeding tube!! You rock, Linds -- keep on keepin on!

Love,
Jonathan