Thursday, July 9, 2009

So Close Yet So Far

8:17 pm

As I watched the clock click over to those magic numbers this evening my breath sort of caught in my chest. One week ago today at 8:17 pm my phone rang and my life as I know it changed. One week ago my baby sister, the one who I vowed to hate for ever but really will always love for all eternity almost died.

Even now, saying that out loud sounds unreal. Almost died? Really? Was she that close?

Yes... yes she really was.

Today has been a rough day for her. She wants things to move more quickly. She wants to be up and moving and walking and recovering because she hasn't looked back yet to see just how far she has come.

For me, as I was telling one of my co-workers today, she is a medical miracle. I want to run into her room and tell her, don't you know you are alive!! You lived and that, in and of it's self is something we didn't know if would happen last week.

But I can't. I have to understand that she is grieving too. She has lost a lot and endured a lot and for her, it all just started yesterday. We have had a week, she has had two days.

Yet still, I hope she can feel it. My love for her. Every one's love for her. We all know how far she has come. We measure her progress by the strides she has made, not by the ones she has left.

The past is gone, the future is uncertain but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present.

Hold on to your good times Lindsay. You were given the present of today. You will get through this!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is a gift. And we were all given the gift to continue to have Lindsay in our lives. Everyone hold strong, remember the past, but thank god for the future!

Stacey

erica said...

heather
she vowed to hate you for eternity too... i'm pretty sure i was there, plus its in the little sister manual-- page 52 I think. ;)

Trust me- she loves you. And after all this is over your bond will be unshakable.

I have a new love for you too-- watching you care for her and run to her has been incredible, something I'm thankful to have witnessed. When I couldn't be there I was so thankful to know you were. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring for Lindsay like you have and keeping us all updated. We look up to our older siblings and are thankful they keep watch over us.
Thursdays will have a new meaning for awhile. He's not finished yet!
giggles

Anonymous said...

Wish I had the right words to help take some of this grief away for Lindsay at this time, or that there was some way to take some of it for her so it was one burden she could give up as she works through what she will to reach her goals. We're just four of the many around the world praying for her and the medical teams around her, and will continue to do so every step of the way. Love to all of you!!

Denise, Steve, Pierce and Braeden

Anonymous said...

Good luck Lindsay. People you've never even met are praying for you. I've been following your story all week long. Linda Berntgen is my aunt so that's how I initially heard. Oh, and Tim was a star student of mine a few years back in Intro. to Financial Accounting.

Anyway, I've shared your story with those around me and everyone is thinking of you and praying for you. There are more people praying for you than you can ever imagine.

Brett Anderson
Maple Grove, MN

Anonymous said...

As part of the Bondurant community, I know of you and your family. I have been following the story through the blog. Thanks Heather. What an inspiration,it reminds us to enjoy each moment. Your faith will get you through this, there are many who have all of you in our prayers.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Heather you are a wonderful big sister... and I know that she thinks so too.... she needs time to grieve like you said, but she will rally and continue to heal (thank god). You all have been to hell and back this week. Your strngth and her fight has been an inspiration!

Danette said...

Life is such a gift & Lindsay you are a wonderful gift. Heather you too are a wonderful gift & Thankfully God has share all of these gifts with all of us. For that we are all truly thankful. Prayers & Love always.